

The North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) Corp. has opened an additional lane and plans to introduce a zipper lane as well, in response to the severe traffic along the section affected by the Marilao Interchange Bridge accident.
“Last night, we opened an additional lane, increasing the usable lanes to three. Furthermore, a zipper lane will be opened in the southbound direction when conditions allow,” NLEX said in a statement. “These measures resulted and will result in the progressive improvement of traffic flow in the area.”
The corporation also said all four lanes will be serviceable by the end of March.
Earlier on Friday, Transportation Chief Vince Dizon called on NLEX to open additional lanes, waive toll fees in areas affected by the accident, and, according to a report by Val Gonzales, to expedite bridge repairs.
The Toll Regulatory Board (TRB) has required an explanation as to why NLEX should be spared from penalties for permitting a truck that exceeded the vertical clearance limit to pass through the toll plaza, resulting in damages to the bridge.
Meanwhile, NLEX has lodged a complaint against the truck’s driver and owners for reckless imprudence resulting in damage to property.
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has also released a show cause order for the truck driver and company.