Aliwan Fiesta 2024
DZRH Logo
Reactions to US, British strikes against Houthis in Yemen
Reactions to US, British strikes against Houthis in Yemen
World
Reactions to US, British strikes against Houthis in Yemen
by DZRH News12 January 2024
U.S. Representative Ro Khanna (D-CA) speaks during the Obama Foundation "Democracy Forum" in New York City, U.S., November 17, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo

(Reuters) - The United States and Britain launched a series of strikes on Yemen on Thursday aimed at the Iran-backed Houthi militia that started targeting international shipping in the Red Sea late last year.

Reactions included:

RUSSIA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN MARIA ZAKHAROVA

"The U.S. air strikes on Yemen are another example of the Anglo-Saxons' perversion of UN Security Council resolutions."

Advertisement

Zakharova said the strikes showed a "complete disregard for international law" and were "escalating the situation in the region". Russia also called for an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council on Friday to discuss the issue.

IRAN'S FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN NASSER KANNANI:

"These attacks are a clear violation of Yemen's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and a breach of international laws.

These attacks will only contribute to insecurity and instability in the region.”

Advertisement

IRAN-BACKED HEZBOLLAH GROUP IN A STATEMENT:

"The American aggression confirms once again that the U.S. is a full partner in the tragedies and massacres committed by the Zionist enemy in Gaza and the region."

SAUDI ARABIA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY IN A STATEMENT:

Called for restraint and "avoiding escalation" after the strikes and said it was monitoring the situation with "great concern".

Advertisement

"The kingdom emphasizes the importance of maintaining the security and stability of the Red Sea region, as the freedom of navigation in it is an international demand."

DUTCH PRIME MINISTER MARK RUTTE

"The U.S.-British action is based on the right of self-defence, aims to protect free passage and is focused on de-escalation. The Netherlands, with its long history as a sea-faring country, places significant importance on the right of free passage and supports this targeted operation."

U.S. SENATOR SUSAN COLLINS, REPUBLICAN, MAINE

Advertisement

"Iran and its proxies must understand that repeated attacks on U.S. troops and the disruption of critical sea lanes will not be tolerated.

"The United States does not seek an escalation of violence in the region, but we must deter attacks on our troops, and the freedom of navigation that is essential for global trade must be restored.”

U.S. REPRESENTATIVE GREGORY MEEKS, DEMOCRAT, NEW YORK

"While I support these targeted, proportional military strikes, I call on the Biden Administration to continue its diplomatic efforts to avoid escalation to a broader regional war and continue to engage Congress on the details of its strategy and legal basis as required by law."

Advertisement

U.S. SENATE REPUBLICAN LEADER MITCH MCCONNELL

"I welcome the U.S. and coalition operations against the Iran-backed Houthi terrorists responsible for violently disrupting international commerce in the Red Sea and attacking American vessels. President Biden's decision to use military force against these Iranian proxies is overdue. I am hopeful these operations mark an enduring shift in the Biden Administration's approach to Iran and its proxies."

U.S. SENATOR ROGER WICKER, REPUBLICAN, MISSISSIPPI

"This strike was two months overdue, but it is a good first step toward restoring deterrence in the Red Sea.

Advertisement

"It is time to dispense with the hollow talk of 'joint resolutions' and 'maritime task forces.' This strike should be a warning to the Houthis and other Iranian proxies that they will suffer catastrophic consequences from escalation in the region."

U.S. REPRESENTATIVE RO KHANNA, DEMOCRAT, CALIFORNIA

"The President needs to come to Congress before launching a strike against the Houthis in Yemen and involving us in another Middle East conflict. That is Article I of the Constitution. I will stand up for that regardless of whether a Democrat or Republican is in the White House."

U.S. REPRESENTATIVE VAL HOYLE, DEMOCRAT, OREGON

Advertisement

"These airstrikes have not been authorized by Congress. The Constitution is clear: Congress has the sole authority to authorize military involvement in overseas conflicts. Every president must first come to Congress and ask for military authorization, regardless of party." U.S. REPRESENTATIVE JASON CROW, DEMOCRAT, COLORADO

"I would not support us being pulled into a broader war."

U.S. REPRESENTATIVE MARK POCAN, DEMOCRAT, WISCONSIN

"The United States cannot risk getting entangled into another decades-long conflict without Congressional authorization. The White House must work with Congress before continuing these airstrikes in Yemen."

Advertisement

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh, Eric Beech; Editing by Heather Timmons, Cynthia Osterman and Raju Gopalakrishnan)

Share
Related Topics
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read