

The government will begin distributing ₱5,000 cash aid to thousands of public utility vehicle (PUV) drivers on Tuesday, March 17, in response to rising fuel prices amid ongoing geopolitical tensions in the Middle East.
Officials from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Transportation (DOTr), and the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) announced the rollout during a joint press conference on March 16 at the DSWD Central Office in Quezon City.
The assistance, dubbed Cash Relief Assistance (CRA), will provide ₱5,000 in direct financial aid to drivers affected by the continued surge in oil prices.
DSWD Secretary Rex Gatchalian said the distribution will begin immediately through multiple payout centers across Metro Manila.
“We will release in four days, either tomorrow. That’s a 30-site slam, and release that in a batch. There are morning batch, there is afternoon batch,” Gatchalian said during the press conference.
He emphasized that beneficiaries must wait for their scheduled payout date to avoid crowding at distribution sites.
“Ang panawagan namin sa mga tricycle driver natin, huwag po kayong pupunta sa pay-out site kapag hindi na-schedule, kasi hindi po aapir ang pangalan ninyo sa listahan,” he said, urging drivers to coordinate with their respective local government units for their schedule.
According to Gatchalian, the payout process was simplified following the directive of Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to ensure faster delivery of aid. Drivers only need to bring their driver’s license and one photocopy to claim the assistance.
The DSWD will also set up health desks at all 30 payout centers to immediately resolve documentation discrepancies so beneficiaries can receive their aid on the spot.
“Pag may konting diprensya lang, halimbawa nag-iba yung birthday na nakalista, we can try to fix it on the spot para hindi na balik-balik yung tricycle driver,” Gatchalian explained.
Meanwhile, DOTr Acting Secretary Giovanni “Banoy” Lopez said the initial rollout will prioritize tricycle drivers in the National Capital Region, with a nationwide distribution planned in the coming weeks.
“Tulad ng sinabi ni Secretary Rex, bukas magsisimula na po kami mag-roll out ng ating subsidiya pagdating sa ating mga tricycle drivers dito sa NCR,” Lopez said.
He added that the government is also preparing assistance for other transport sectors, including jeepney drivers, TNVS drivers, motorcycle taxi riders, and delivery riders, once the beneficiary lists are finalized.
Lopez noted that the current assistance marks a shift in the government’s subsidy approach, which previously prioritized operators rather than drivers.
“Dati-rati po yung fuel subsidy tinutugunan lang natin ang operator. Kaya nagkakaroon ng issue na yung mga driver ng operator hindi sila nakakatanggap. But because of DSWD and the directive of the President, pati drivers mabibigyan,” he said.
The transport department earlier announced a separate ₱2.5-billion fuel subsidy program for public transport operators and drivers, which is expected to be rolled out once funding is released.
Authorities said the cash assistance aims to cushion the financial burden on transport workers as fuel prices continue to rise due to global supply uncertainties. The government is currently consolidating beneficiary lists through regional offices and local government units in preparation for the nationwide expansion of the program.
