DZRH Logo
No-show: Cabinet members skip Senate hearing on Duterte’s arrest
No-show: Cabinet members skip Senate hearing on Duterte’s arrest
Nation
No-show: Cabinet members skip Senate hearing on Duterte’s arrest
by Mary Antalan03 April 2025
Courtesy: Senate of the Philippines

Cabinet members and other officials skipped the latest Senate hearing on former President Rodrigo Duterte’s arrest and handover to the International Criminal Court (ICC) on March 11.

This happened after Malacañang barred them from attending, citing executive privilege and the sub judice rule.

Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin said officials had already made "extensive disclosures" during the first hearing on March 20.

In a letter dated March 31, Bersamin said the Palace decided to "respectfully decline" the invitation to the April 3 hearing, led by Sen. Imee Marcos, President Marcos’ sister.

Advertisement

"Nevertheless, we remain available to extend our full cooperation through other appropriate channels, should there be any further clarifications required within the bounds of the law," Bersamin said.

The letter was sent to Senator Marcos and Senate President Francis Escudero on the same day that Palace press officer Claire Castro assured that Marcos would not prevent officials from joining the Senate probe.

During a press briefing, Castro said the President would not stop Cabinet secretaries from attending the hearing and that the executive branch would answer all questions as long as they do not violate executive privilege.

Malacañang did not explain why Bersamin’s letter contradicted Castro’s statement.

Advertisement

Speaking to reporters in Pasay City, Senator Marcos expressed that she was "saddened and surprised" by her brother's decision, noting that he had previously stated he would not prevent his Cabinet from taking part.

Duterte is currently detained in The Hague, Netherlands, facing crimes against humanity charges at the ICC. He was arrested on March 11 at Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 throught an arrest warrant from the Interpol.

The president's sister raised the issue questioning the legality of the former president's arrest and whether it aligns with the country's jurisdiction.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read