DZRH Logo
Malacañang rejects 'misleading' claims of PH as ISIS training hotspot
Malacañang rejects 'misleading' claims of PH as ISIS training hotspot
Nation
Malacañang rejects 'misleading' claims of PH as ISIS training hotspot
by Luwela Amor17 December 2025
Photo courtesy: RTVM/Youtube

Malacañang on Wednesday strongly rejected reports describing the Philippines as an ISIS training hotspot, calling the claims “sweeping and misleading” insinuations and unsupported by evidence.

In a press briefing this morning, Palace Press Officer Usec. Claire Castro said there is no proof that the country was used for terrorist training by the gunmen involved in the recent Bondi Beach mass shooting in Australia on December 14.

The Palace said that President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. “strongly rejects the sweeping statements and the misleading characterization of the Philippines as the ISIS training hotspot.”

“No evidence has been presented to support claims that the country was used for terrorist training,” Castro said, citing a statement from the National Security Council (NSC).

“Regarding reports describing the Philippines as an ISIS hotspot, the characterization is misleading. Currently, there is no validated report or confirmation that the individuals involved in the Bondi Beach incident received any form of training in the Philippines. Philippine authorities, in coordination with international partners, continue to verify all available information," Castro read the official NSC statement during the briefing.

Castro also reminded foreign media to exercise caution and responsibility in reporting, noting that unverified claims harm the country’s integrity and international image.

“Maging mapanuri at responsable sa pagpapahayag, lalo’t ito ay nakakaapekto sa integridad at imahe ng Pilipinas,” Castro said.

She added that the NSC has not received any verified report proving that the two suspects in the Bondi Beach shooting underwent any form of military or terrorist training in the Philippines.

Furthermore, since the 2017 Marawi siege, Philippine security forces have significantly weakened ISIS-affiliated groups operating in the country. Assessments by the United Nations (UN) and the United States government indicate that these groups now function in a fragmented and diminished capacity.

Authorities also emphasized that violence in Mindanao is largely rooted in historical conflicts and local clan disputes rather than the operational strength of ISIS-linked organizations.

Recent security assessments point to marked improvements in areas previously affected by terrorism, reflecting sustained government efforts in advancing "peace, order, and development across."

Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said it is validating reports that the two gunmen involved in the Bondi Beach mass shooting may have received militant training in the Philippines. The attack, which occurred on Sunday, December 14, left 15 people dead and triggered international concern.

PNP spokesperson Police Brigadier General Randulf Tuaño confirmed that the PNP is coordinating with the Bureau of Immigration to trace the suspects’ movements and determine whether they received any form of training or support while in the country.

Authorities stressed, however, that as of now, no evidence has emerged to substantiate the claims.

Share
Related Topics
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read