DZRH Logo
‘I AM NOT THE ICC LAWYER’: Messages from Duterte supporters flood American author Nicholas Kaufmann amid name mix-up
‘I AM NOT THE ICC LAWYER’: Messages from Duterte supporters flood American author Nicholas Kaufmann amid name mix-up
Lifestyle
‘I AM NOT THE ICC LAWYER’: Messages from Duterte supporters flood American author Nicholas Kaufmann amid name mix-up
by Mika Jenymae Rasing02 April 2025
Photos from (left) Nicholas Kaufmann/FB, (right) screengrab from the ICC/YT.

Since last month, the American author Nicholas Kaufmann’s inbox has been and is still being swarmed by messages from former President Rodrigo Duterte’s supporters. If you’re wondering why, it’s because of a name mix-up between two people who share similar names.

In a Facebook post last month, the author asked Filipinos to stop messaging him, clarifying that he is not Duterte’s legal counsel.

“PEOPLE OF THE PHILIPPINES,” he wrote. “I AM *NOT* THE ICC LAWYER NICHOLAS KAUFMAN WHO IS REPRESENTING PRESIDENT DUTERTE! PLEASE STOP MESSAGING ME!”

Advertisement

Despite this, messages continued to flood the author. In a separate post on Tuesday, April 1, Kaufmann again clarified that he is not the former president’s lawyer.

“I am being absolutely flooded today with followers and commenters from the Philippines who I guess, don't believe I'm not Duterte's lawyer. Our names aren't even spelled the same (he's Kaufman with one N). It's insane!” the author remarked.

The person Kaufmann was mistaken for is the seasoned British-Israeli lawyer, Nicholas Kaufman, who will serve as Duterte’s legal counsel. Just like what the author said, this lawyer’s surname is spelled with one N.

Advertisement

Kaufman specializes in crisis public relations, reputation management, and litigation. He previously defended the high-profile case involving Maxime Mokom Gawaka, the former minister of disarmament in the Central African Republic. The latter was arrested in 2022 for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Meanwhile, nearly 700 people have reacted to the author’s pinned post explaining that he is not Duterte’s defense lawyer. And yet, he emphasized that he still gets hundreds of followers from the Philippines every hour.

This led to several Filipinos apologizing on their countrymen’s behalf and poked fun at the mix-up.

Advertisement

One comment said, “Are they pro or anti?” questioning whether the messages that Kaufmann gets were from the former president’s supporters or not.

Two comments said that Kaufmann could write a book and use the situation as the plot.

Advertisement

Duterte will appear at the confirmation of charges hearing on September 23, 2025, wherein the judges will determine whether there is enough evidence in the case–a crucial step in determining if it will lead to a full trial.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read