

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has gathered more evidence confirming that businessman Joseph Sy is a foreign national, compared to the case of former Bamban, Tarlac mayor Alice Guo, according to the Bureau of Immigration (BI) Spokesperson Dana Sandoval.
“Kumpleto po yung information na nakita natin sa system po ng immigration, that’s why we believe that it is a very strong case against him,” said Sandoval in an exclusive interview on DZRH Special on Saturday (SOS).
Sandoval described the case against Sy as very strong, citing clear records in the bureau’s system, including biometric information, signed affidavits, and photographs.
She added that the Regional Trial Court has issued a habeas corpus or legal order requiring a person under arrest to be brought before the court. She also said that they already sought assistance from the Office of the Solicitor General to help elevate the case further.
When asked how such foreign nationals were able to pass immigration, Sandoval explained that they managed to obtain authentic Philippine documents, “Because they are able to get the mother document which is the birth certificate, through a late registration.”
Sandoval further said that these foreign nationals are able to obtain Philippine birth certificates, which then allow them to secure other official documents and IDs, enabling them to claim Filipino citizenship.
She added that they are able to slip through immigration because they misrepresent themselves as Filipinos rather than foreign nationals.
“Hindi lang po ito yung una, yung Alice Guo case, hindi po ‘yan ang una. Marami na po tayong nakukuha na ganyan, at lagi po nating nire-raise ito as a major concern,” the officer further said, noting that this kind of issue is rampant in the country.
Various government agencies are working together to stop foreign nationals from obtaining Philippine documents, said Sandoval. When a case is flagged or someone is caught, it is immediately reported to the interagency task force to investigate how the documents were acquired and the processes involved.
Sy was previously summoned before the Senate Subcommittee on Justice and Human Rights last Monday, December 15. He was identified by immigration authorities as a Chinese national named Zhong Zhen Chen.
During the hearing, senators raised alarms over potential national security risks tied to the mining executive’s business dealings, some involving the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG).
