

The Philippine National Police (PNP) said a confrontation between police and protesters at EDSA corner Ortigas during Tuesday’s commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the EDSA People Power Revolution was an “isolated incident,” despite leaving seven officers injured and two individuals arrested.
PNP Chief Jose Melencio C. Nartatez Jr. assured the public that the scuffle did not affect the overall security of the nationwide observance on February 25. Metro Manila was placed under full alert, and authorities reported no major untoward incidents across the country.
The assessment was made following the conclusion of the “Trillion Peso March” in White Plains, Quezon City, as well as other gatherings in various parts of EDSA. Earlier in the afternoon, the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) dispersed militant groups that staged a separate rally along EDSA-Ortigas at around 4 p.m.
Based on monitoring by the PNP Command Center, crowd attendance peaked at approximately 6,000 participants across activities along EDSA, including two major events held at the People Power Monument and the EDSA Shrine.
The two arrested men are facing charges of direct assault, resistance and disobedience to persons in authority, alarm and scandal, and violation of Batas Pambansa Blg. 880, or the Public Assembly Act, after allegedly throwing stones at police officers at the height of the protest. Authorities said the injured officers received immediate medical attention.
