Aliwan Fiesta 2024
DZRH Logo
"I realized very late" Prez Duterte apologizes for allowing e-sabong operations
"I realized very late" Prez Duterte apologizes for allowing e-sabong operations
Nation
"I realized very late" Prez Duterte apologizes for allowing e-sabong operations
by Christhel Cuazon15 June 2022
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte delivers his speech during the lowering of the tunnel boring machine and inspection of the subway depot of the Metro Manila Subway Project in Barangay Ugong, Valenzuela City on June 12, 2022. ALBERTO ALCAIN/ PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

Outgoing President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on Tuesday apologized for allowing the operations of the controversial e-sabong to continue, adding that he only realized now the negative effects of it on society.

"On e-sabong, I realized very late. I am very sorry that it had to happen. Di ko akalain na ganon [I didn’t think it will be that way]," Duterte said during his speech after inspecting the National Academy of Sports in Capaz, Tarlac.

"It was at P600 million a month, billions in a year because there are a lot of operations. I am very sorry it had to happen," he added.

Duterte previously revealed that the national government has been earning millions from e-sabong monthly.

Advertisement

"E-sabong is legal. When we allow gambling, it's legal. Tanong mo ano nagawa ng e-sabong diyan kung magpatayan? Whether you like it or not, sa casino pwede niyong gawin yung mga ganon. How can you stop crime and criminality," Duterte said during his taped Talk to the People back in March.

Duterte decided to stop e-sabong operations in May after the Department of Interior and Local Government found that communities are largely opposed to the online cock betting operations since they resulted in a deterioration of moral values.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read