

Former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Manuel “Manny” Bonoan has returned to the Philippines on Sunday morning, January 18, according to the Bureau of Immigration (BI).
In a press release, the BI said Bonoan arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport aboard China Airlines Flight CI0701 from Taipei.
Bonoan had been placed under the BI’s Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order (ILBO) following a directive from the Department of Justice (DOJ) to monitor his travels in connection with the ongoing probe into the alleged anomalous flood control projects.
According to the BI, records show that Bonoan left the country last year to accompany his wife to the United States for a medical procedure. He arrived in the Philippines without any reported travel companion.
“The BI reiterated that the issuance of an immigration lookout bulletin is intended to ensure that authorities are promptly informed of the arrival or departure of persons of interest in ongoing investigations,” the agency said.
BI Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado said the bureau has promptly relayed the information to the Secretary of Justice in accordance with existing procedures.
Previously, Philippine Ambassador to the United States Jose Manuel “Babe” Romualdez confirmed that Bonoan requested an extension of his stay in the United States, citing his wife’s upcoming medical procedure.
Romualdez said Bonoan is not evading authorities and sought the extension until February 15 due to his wife’s eye operation.
